The World Through Rosie Colored Glasses

Rosemarie Mildenhall was born August 18 at 12:36 PM. Everything since then is a blur. It has been more than 2 weeks since that day, but so much has happened. To sum it all up, Rosie has two major skill areas: eating and sleeping, but she adds an element of excitement to these mundane tasks by doing them at the most unusual times.

For those of you who don't know, Katie had a C-section because Rosie was breached. It was weird because we got to schedule the time and date of the operation. We when came to the hospital we felt like we were checking into a hotel for a weekend vacation (especially since the rooms were so nice). The nurses got Katie ready and she went to the OR while I waited for the doctors to administer the anesthesia.

I waited for what seemed like an eternity until one of the nurses led me in to the OR. Katie was hooked up to tubes and monitors and lying on the operating table. I held her hand during the operation, and after Rosie was out, all Katie could ask was whether Rosie had a dimple. The nurses all commented on how big she was (7 pounds 12 ounces one week before her due date) and especially on how much hair she had.

It is hard to describe the emotions I felt those first few minutes, but next to the day Katie and I were married, I had more joy in my heart than ever. I felt so happy, and I was so proud of Katie. She did great during the operation, and took care of Rosie as soon as she could. We were in the hospital until Tuesday, and we had a good time learning how to feed and change diapers. Rosie was happy or sleepy most of the time, but she had a daily fussy period for a few hours too.

It has been a big adjustment having someone to take care of all of the time, but at the same time is is very rewarding. Rosie is so fun to look at and entertain. Grandma Little has been here to help out, and without her we would be in dire straits.

Rosie enjoys her bouncer, being outside, and going for walks (not to mention eating). She really likes to dance too. She especially enjoys dancing with daddy to Keane.




Katie is recovering well from her operation and is almost back to 100%. She does a great job of taking care of Rosie during the night (Katie was really worried that she would sleep through Rosie's cries). Dad sleeps during the night, but he tries to help out subconsciously. During the night, I will sleep walk and try to find Rosie in random places. I looked for her in the blinds one night, and last night I mistook Katie's leg for her. All in all, we are doing great. Even Pasha is adjusting well.

1 comment:

Breebert said...

When you sleep walk do you say, "Sarrahh....Saarrahhh."?