ramblings on march madness

for as long as i can remember (probably 1993), i have loved march madness and college basketball. i was an avid ACC fan growing up. i attended numerous BYU basketball games my freshman year. i watched march madness in lieu of attending class. things have changed. maybe it's just me, but college basketball isn't as interesting as it used to be. i have two theories, and i would love to hear if anyone else's interest has waned over the last few years.

theory one: the quality of college basketball has declined, due mainly to players' early exit into the NBA (i have never liked the NBA). players no longer develop as much as they used playing four years, so teams have less chemistry and players who are selfishly trying to get their draft stock to increase. when was the last time a group of seniors led their team to the NCAA championship? probably the terps in '02.

theory 2: the game hasn't changed, i have. i watch a lot of soccer lately. i am so desperate to watch it that i have started following the mexican league (thanks to the latino channels we get, i can also watch a big european club game almost every saturday). the flow of soccer is pretty slow at times, and only a few goals are scored. basketball on the other hand is up and down all of the time, and players almost score at will. another thing i can't stand is all the commercials, but any sport but soccer has that problem.

anywho, i still love playing basketball, but things just haven't been the same this year for me and march madness. then again, i am in last place in a pool with my friends.

5 comments:

tmildenhall said...

briant,

yeah i didn't enjoy march madness as much this year. no good upsets almost at all. i may be headed to your side of the country, i got into unc chapel hill mba school, so we'll see. then i'd have a team to cheer on.

tom

Anonymous said...

Ciao Lucia, sono Andrea-Aurelio di Lago del Bosco! Ho appena trovato una lettera da te che mi segnalava questo blog, e quindi l'ho trovato e ti ho scritto. Le mie congratulazioni a te e a tuo marito per il vostro splendido bambino. sono molto contento per te. spero che tutto stia andando bene. Qui a Milano tutto va bene, ho da lavorare molto, è uscito un mio libro, ecc...
Sono davvero contento di aver trovato il modo per metterti in contatto con te di nuovo. Spero di avere tue notizio presto. il mio indirizzo mail è andrea.vestrucci@gmail.com
Stammi bene, a presto, un abbraccio

Andrea

The Mildenhalls said...

correct, correct, but I feel a lot of the waning passion in the game is at a personal level as well, while I was never as avid a fan as you, I followed enought obe able to have a conversation with my father in-law, this year, I tried to get into it... then april happened .

Zack said...

Hey Briant, you are very very insightful... for me, I have changed. Last year, I had enough time to frantically research teams for like 2 hours before making my picks. This year, with work and a baby, the first I knew about the teams in the tourney was when I was picking my bracket.

But hey, at least I won my NCAA pool... :-)

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

Hey guys,

I will have to plan some time today to sit and read all your blog-ness and catch up with you!
I sent you an invite to our family blog!
Rosie is a cute one!
--Sean