a good traffic jam



We spent this last weekend in Turin, and it was a very different experience compared to the other trips we had. The main difference was the reason we (really just me) wanted to go there: The Traffic Festival.

Italy has tons of music festivals every year, and most of them are free (why cant this catch on in America?). A few months ago I was looking at the website of my favorite band,
New Order. They were scheduled to play at the Traffic Festival in Turin while we were going to be in Milan. It was perfect. I have only been to one New Order concert during my ten year enchantment with them, and that was 4 years ago in California.

I don’t remember much from the last show, so I am blogging about this one; hope it’s not too boring. We got to Turin Saturday afternoon and looked around the city for a bit, stopping by the Cinema Museum and other sites. I hope Turin is ready next year for the winter Olympics.

That night, Katie went back to the hotel and I took the bus to the park where the concert was held. I expected to see some other fans, and on the bus I met two guys from Poland that came to see New Order. We got to the show ½ hour early and waited around talking about Poland, Russia, and other concerts they liked.

The first band was 808 State, and they were better then I thought they would be. I bought one of their CD’s when I was 17 or so and I listened to it a few times and then never again. New Order came on next, and it was a great performance. The sound was good, and the band was in a good mood. There were lots of people, and the weather was nice, so all around it was a great event. They played about 15 songs. In the words of Jack, one of the Polish guys, the show was "tasty." After the show, the Italians just stood there and talked to each other like it was a bar or something so the buses weren’t crowded.

My Polish friends went to a club afterwards and I went back to the hotel to find Katie fast asleep. Random observations about the trip:
1) Turin has a lot to do to get ready for February. Their main square is a big pit (much like the ones encountered at BYU). It was hard to imagine the Olympics being there.

2) I am getting really old. I tried to jump up and down with the crowd for some of the more peppy songs, but I couldn’t do it too long because my knee hurt.

3) I am out of touch with music.

4) I don’t enjoy things as much if Katie is not there. I would have asked Katie to come with me, but the last concert I took her to was a disaster.

5) It is hard to write witty blogs about trips.

2 comments:

The Mildenhalls said...

Keep on rocking in the 3rd world Z, I know what you're thinking: "Italy is NOT a 3rd world country, Scott" but I say in retort, its pretty close. I too am getting old, hurting your back (severely doesn't help, or your knee for that matter. Well TJ will be home tomorrow, so in honor of him: Nintendo, Taylor had an afro, we are all getting old.

Ben said...

Fraggin.